For most people, selling a home is a lengthy, emotional, and challenging process. However, many people make the task even more difficult by making a set of common mistakes. Here are five common pitfalls to watch out for when you are selling your home.
1. Asking too much. Many people expect their home to maintain the value they bought it at, or to increase in value. In reality, though, the market determines value, so it’s important to find an expert who knows the market. Hiring an agent from a company like HomeSmart International is essential if you want to set the right target price for your home and sell it in a reasonable amount of time.
2. Selling on your own. Many people contemplate selling a home without the help of a realtor. This can lead to underpricing or overpricing, as well as a risk of liability. Most realtors have Errors & Omissions insurance to protect themselves in the event that they make a mistake in representing a home to buyers. You can expose yourself to considerable risk in selling a home if you aren’t an expert and lack this coverage. It’s safer and easier to hire a good realtor or agent from a company like HomeSmart International.
3. Skipping needed repairs. Letting buyers see parts of your home that visibly need repairs undermines your credibility and makes selling your home harder. At best, buyers will want a lower price; at worst, they will think that you have neglected more foundational aspects of your home and be deterred from making an offer. Clean, renovate, and take care of any necessary repairs before listing your home.
4. Making your home difficult to show. It can be a challenge to find time to keep your home clean and uncluttered, but this can be essential to your success in selling your home. Buyers need to be able to walk through the house, see every room, and envision themselves living there without being distracted. Strategically minimizing clutter and clearing away messes can also make your home appear larger and more appealing. Focus on cleaning, de-cluttering, or even putting belongings away in temporary storage.
5. Making too little effort marketing. There are many channels today that homeowners can use to connect with potential buyers. You can put up signs, hold an open house, have an agent conduct walk-throughs, advertise online, and create an MLS listing. You’ll see better and faster results with a company like HomeSmart International that makes use of these various marketing channels.
These five mistakes are common, but fortunately, they’re also easy to avoid. Getting the help of an expert and putting some effort into home repairs and cleaning can make all the difference in making selling your home an easier process.